• Found historical reference of "R"
• Recreated "R" and measured geometry
• Developed a system of geometry
• Designed letters: C, D, E, G, H, O, V, e, g, h
• Traced first 10 letter digitally
• Tweaked geometry of these first 10
• Designed cohesive full alphabet plus numerals
Hayduke was another project that stemmed from questions. I found a type study of a single letter, R, with a caption that simply said, “R by Caslon 1849.” From this interesting type specimen I wondered, “what would the other letters related to this R look like if they existed?” I never found a typeface exactly like what I ended up with.
I was drawn to this typeface from watching Spaghetti Westerns as a kid with my grandfather. I named the typeface for a character in Edward Abbey’s book The Monkey Wrench Gang, who is a contemporary cowboy in the American Southwest.